PARTICIPANT AGREEMENT AND RELEASE
- GENERAL. This “Iowa State Fair Pitch Competition” contest (“Contest”) is organized by Iowa State University of Science and Technology (“ISU”) on behalf of University Marketing. By participating in this Contest and presenting your live pitch to state fair audiences (“Pitch”), you accept the terms and conditions below.
- INDEMNITY. Participant (“Participant”) shall indemnify, defend, and hold harmless ISU, State of Iowa, and State of Iowa – Board of Regents, and all of their officers, directors, employees, and agents from and against any and all claims arising from Participant’s submission to the Contest (“Entry”), including but not limited to loss of intellectual property rights, claims for trademark infringement copyright infringement, and violation of an individual’s right of publicity or right of privacy, and Participant’s use or misuse of the prize.
- LICENSE GRANT TO PITCH. By participating in this Contest, you hereby grant to ISU and its designees a royalty free, irrevocable, perpetual, nonexclusive license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, create derivative works from, and display your Pitch, in whole or in part, as well as to incorporate your Pitch into other works, in any form, media or technology now known or later developed, including for any promotional or marketing purpose. Please note that your Pitch is available for viewing by any member of the public. Participants understand that participation in this Pitch Contest will be a public activity and may negatively affect the ability to obtain patent protection on the ideas presented, even if not all details are disclosed.
- CONSENT TO USE YOUR NAME, ETC. By participating in this Contest, you also hereby grant to ISU and its designees the right to use your name, voice, signature, biographical information, photo, and likeness for advertising, publicity, promotional and other purposes in any and all media, now or hereafter devised, throughout the world in perpetuity, without additional compensation, notification or permission. Entry shall constitute a waiver to the extent such information may otherwise be protected under state and/or federal privacy laws (including the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act).
- RELEASE. By participating in this Contest, each Participant hereby agrees to release, waive and discharge ISU and each of its officers, directors, employees, and agents, from any and all claims, demands, obligations, causes of action and liabilities which now exist or may hereafter arise that relate in any way to such winning Participant’s participation in the Contest or any participation in any activity, event, or excursion offered in connection with the prize or any portion thereof.
- CONTEST. By participating in this Contest, Participant agrees to be bound by the Contest guidelines (below), and ISU’s decisions, which are final. In the event there is a discrepancy or inconsistency between disclosures or other statements contained in any contest materials and the terms and conditions of the Contest guidelines, the guidelines shall prevail, govern and control. In no event will more than the stated number of prizes be awarded. ISU reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest in whole or in part.
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. ISU is not responsible for any error in administration of the Contest or in the announcement of the prizes.
I acknowledge that I have read and hereby accept the terms and conditions of my participation in this Contest.
Iowa State University
State Fair Pitch Competition
- Provide fair-goers an experience of entrepreneurship and innovation Iowa State University style
- Brand Iowa State’s students, programs, and impact
- Recruit others in stewarding and participating in branding
- Open to undergraduates, graduate students, and recent graduates
Round 1: Days 1-8
- 14 “pitchers” a day, 2 per hour
- 126 people for 9 days
- Up to a 5-minute pitch, and 5 minutes of Q&A (10 minutes total)
- 2 times per hour
Round 2: Day 9 and 10 (Friday & Saturday)
- 56 “pitchers” for winning, 28 total pitches
- 4 people an hour, up to a 5-minute pitch, and 5 minutes of Q&A (10 minutes total)
Award Ceremony: Day 11 (Sunday afternoon)
- 8 major awards
- Presented by President Wintersteen and Governor Kim Reynolds
Truly Original: 50 points
- Revenue generation capacity
- Industry and/or community significance
- Potential economic impact
- Market penetration
- Financing and investment
Iowa Pride: 50 points
- Number of recruited voters – participants must recruit at least 4 audience participants
- Audience engagement
- How Iowa State and your college influenced your capacity to innovate and pursue entrepreneurship
- Audience votes