It’s really happening! Time to make it official. Learn more about registering your business, copyrights and trademarks, and business licenses.
We collected a few cliff notes from our “Make It Legit: Naming to Trademarking” session just in case you couldn’t make it, but we’ve linked the recording below for your viewing pleasure as well.
- Choose a creative name reflective of your brand identity.
- Secure a domain for your business. It doesn’t have to be exactly your business name, but something recognizable.
- Register your business name with the Secretary of State or County Recorder, this protects your business and prevents anyone in the state from operating under the same name.
- Trademarking prevents others in the same (or similar) industry in the US from using your trademarked names.
- Choose a business structure (LLC, sole proprietor, C corp, S corp, etc.) before registering your business with the state.
- Consult with business counselors, attorneys and accountants!