Experience the Okoboji Entrepreneurial Institute
At the Okoboji Entrepreneurial Institute, students participate in an advanced study of entrepreneurship that includes seminars with successful entrepreneurs, business, and community leaders; networking and mentoring to enhance their understanding of entrepreneurship opportunities in Iowa; and they have a little bit of fun, too.
The Okoboji Entrepreneurial Institute will take place June 11-15, 2023. Deadline to apply is April 13, 2023.
The institute is a joint effort of the State Board of Regents, the Iowa Department of Economic Development, the Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Centers at the University of Iowa, Iowa State University, University of Northern Iowa, and the Iowa Lakes Corridor Development Corporation.
Iowa State University OEI Class of 2022: Parker Jameson, Julio Delgadillo, Phillip Gorni, Jassma’ray Johnson, Micah Walker, Armaan Gupta, and Henry Shires
Eight budding entrepreneurs from each of the state universities, the University of Northern Iowa, Iowa State University, and the University of Iowa, plus students from Buena Vista University & Iowa Lakes Community College attend the Institute.
Residents of the Great Lakes area open their homes to host the 32 students during the week-long event, providing students with a full quality-of-life experience in the region.
At the Institute you will:
- Attend educational topics on entrepreneurship.
- Network with northwest Iowa’s finest entrepreneurs and mentors.
- Explore economic development opportunities in the region.
- Experience the culture of the Lakes region and Okoboji hospitality first-hand.
- Pitch a business idea to investors to compete for cash prizes.
- Earn one college credit for your participation (optional entrepreneurship credit).
- Spend a weekend immersed in entrepreneurial learning, discussions, and experiences.
- Develop a set of contacts that would make any entrepreneur envious.
- Full-time registered Iowa State University undergraduate or graduate student.
- Commitment to attend the entire Institute (Thursday through Sunday).
- Demonstrated interest or experience in entrepreneurship (have own business or participating in CYstarters).
- Complete online application.
- Participate in a selection interview.
- Participation in OEI is a competitive process. Only eight students are selected each summer on an invitation/interview basis.